Monday, February 28, 2011

Harley a Friend for Life Died on Sunday

Harley Died on Sunday - she succumbed to the same fate as Duke at around 10-11 years old Labrador Retrievers have hip dysplasia an eventually cannot get up and must be put down. She died peacefully in her sleep Saturday night. She was a great dog, we had her for a little over 7 years. I am reprinting this Blog I printed on her a couple of years ago...Good Bye Girl..........

"Harley" is a chocolate lab we have had for about 4 years. She was probably 3-4 when we got her. She will bark like she will take your head off, but will love you to death, once she knows you are a friend. I had a black lab "Duke" we had for 11 years, that succumbed to bad hips, he could not get up on his own,had a stroke, and had to be put down. We took Duke to the Vet and he gave us the news that Duke would not get any better. He could be given some drugs that would help for a while but he would need to be helped up every time he would lye down or sit. The only other option was to have him put down. Although, it was a terrible option it was the best for Duke, rather than see him suffer. I cried that day, because of the loss of such a friend. We got Harley the year before because we knew Duke was getting old and would soon leave us. Duke had been run over when we lived in Atlanta but survived the accident and lived for many years after.
I write this in view of Harley and what a comfort she is: I freely admit that I am not always perfect, and many times she has not been treated with the utmost respect she deserves,but she is always there. This morning it was 22 degrees, she slept in the garage, at 6 am I let her out, fed her and she did her usual romp with me down the hill to feed the horses. The driveway is about half a mile. She runs down the hill sits or lyes down until I am ready to return to the house and then she runs back up the hill, a little slower coming up, but then, she sits on top of the hill sitting in all her majesty, in front of the house daring anyone to come up the hill.
I call her to me and it does not matter what I have done or not done, It does not matter, if I have been good or evil to her, I will get the tail wag, the body wiggling in all shapes, sit down in front of me and will sit there and let me pat her on the head and let me pass on my gratitude, to her for all she has done for me.
I don't deserve the love, but it is given freely.
I am grateful for the unconditional Love Harley shows me.
I am grateful to Harley, that she can make the saddest person smile.
I am Grateful to Harley because she helps me heal and brings me comfort.
I am Grateful to God, He created Harley to help me through life.
I am Grateful that the animals reveal compassion, teach hope and forgiveness, and serve as a barometer to measure feelings.
Harley is Great, she was created by God and she helps me through the day. It does not matter whatever is going on, She will show me love, just as God does.
What a great companion.

God is Great God is Good. Harley is a messenger from God.

Michael Mack, An American

No comments:

Post a Comment